Biomedical Informatics Services
The Biomedical Informatics Core offers services to help investigators obtain clinical data for research purposes. Customized data extracts are available upon request with IRB approval for patients cared for within the UI Health system.
The Biomedical Informatics Core can help you with various stages of research:
- Obtain counts for study feasibility
- Determine appropriate inclusion and exclusion criteria for studies
- IRB protocol prep consults
- Obtain contact lists including patient names, address, phone numbers, MRNs, etc.
Clinical Data Extracts & Secure Data Storage
- Retrospective data for specific cohorts of patients, including demographics, diagnosis data, procedure data, lab data, vitals, medications, etc.
- Prospective data for established cohorts of patients
- Ability to collect supplementary clinical data after patients are consented into a study
Informatics design methods for projects or grants
We can assist in preparing grant proposals by providing language regarding methods, resources and programs available at UIC.
Obtaining Clinical Data Extracts (UIC CIRCLE)
Both de-identified and identifiable extracts are available, dependent upon particular researcher needs and IRB authorizations. Consultations are available to assist with determining requirements and preparing IRB documents, choosing appropriate inclusion and exclusion criteria, establishing the best use of available data, etc. Secure data transfer and storage mechanisms will be provided.
Obtaining Aggregate Cohort Counts via UIC CIRCLE
Determine study feasibility by providing anonymized counts of clinical data for patients seen at UIHHS and the Mile Square clinics. Researchers may receive counts data by request or with the QUICKSet self-service tool.
People who use biomedical informatics services also find the following links to be helpful:
Regulatory Support and Advocacy Core
Department of Veterans Affairs Information Resource Center (VIReC)
Data Issues Brief (DIB) from the VA Information Resource Center (VIReC)