Community Engagement Services
The Community Engagement and Collaboration Core (CEC) provides expert guidance in the areas of recruitment, retention, community engagement, and dissemination and implementation. Our team of specialists provide consultative services and feedback to faculty, students, trainees, and community organizations on areas including- but not limited to- research methods, recruitment and retention plans, use of culturally appropriate engagement strategies, recruitment materials, research dissemination, and implementation science-based policy guidance. All CEC services are free of charge.
Community Engagement Advisory Board Consultation
The CEAB provides interactive feedback on community engagement in health research, participant recruitment and retention strategies, and dissemination of study findings. In addition to UIC faculty and staff, community organizations, local nonprofit health researchers, and faculty and students from other Chicago universities can benefit from CEAB consultations.
The board is comprised of both academic health researchers and community leaders. Members contribute a wide range of professional and lived expertise, including working with diverse racial groups, youth, LGBT, veterans, immigrants, and a wide range of medical and mental health conditions.
The CEAB can:
- Strategies for recruitment and retention plans in any type of human research study
- Feedback on promotional materials, questionnaires, surveys and interview guides, including culturally appropriate language and approaches
- Improve the recruitment and retention rates of minority participants
- Identify and facilitate connections with community partners
- Review research protocols to optimize community involvement and interaction
- Strategies for integrating findings into community practice programs
- Recommendations for disseminating research results and integrating findings into the real world
The board meets twice monthly in alignment with the academic calendar. Meetings are held on UIC's West Campus from 9:00am - 11:00am. Each consultation (two per meeting) lasts approximately 45 minutes.
AY19-20 Meeting Schedule:
|Thursday, October 3||Thursday, March 5||Thursday, May 7|
|Thursday, October 17||Thursday, March 19||Thursday, May 21|
|Wednesday, February 5||Wednesday, April 1||Wednesday, June 3|
|Wednesday, February 19||Wednesday, April 15||Wednesday, June 17|
Grant Planning Consultations
The CEC team is available for individual consultations and advice to help develop recruitment, retention, dissemination and implementation plans for the early stages of study design.
Letters of Support
Letters of Support are available for investigators who seek to utilize the CEAB as a resource within their ongoing or proposed research study.